Sunday, August 25, 2013

한국에서, "안녕하세요!" (August 25, 2013)


여러분, hello!

I think this is my 4th P-day in Korea, which means I've been here for a whole month. My "12 week program" (basically, a training program for new missionaries to get up to speed) is 1/3 done. The goal of the 12 week program is to be able to train other missionaries when I'm done, which is a bit scary (though training someone else after 3 months is something that doesn't really happen since knowing Korean is a very very important part of being a trainer...). The days are long, but weeks are short - it's weird.

I still haven't received any more mail from you guys, so that's a little disappointing. I can't answer the questions you might have, or respond to what's going on in Boise! I've got to go to the mission home for a training meeting this Thursday though, so I'll probably end up getting like 3 letters then. I'll try to ask the office missionaries about what's up with the mail, and so hopefully I can figure out what will work best.

Well, here's a bit about our English class...

English class is one of the easier ways to proselyte - once a week, we teach an English class for free. (focused mostly on everyday conversation, since that's something that's easy for us, and something that other English classes have a hard time offering). Most people have at least a passing interested in free English.

One man who attends our classes is really, really good at English. He's been attending Church-sponsored English classes for some 10 years now, and I think he visits several different areas to attend multiple classes.

Our goal for English class is to try to share about the gospel, of course. We always share a spiritual message, and try to find people interested in the Gospel. If that fails, we're still doing service for the people of Busan, and hopefully help the Church keep a good reputation. 

Anyways since we don't have any real, progressing investigators so far (although we gave a pamphlet to a guy who later said he'd be interested in talking about it, and we planned to meet him. We set a time and place, but he never showed up and we can't get in touch with him again... why!?) , our activities have been focused on finding people, whether that means just contacting people as we meet them, or trying to visit less actives, or whatever it might be.

But I know that the Lord blesses the obedient. God's promised to the obedient that He will bless them, and there's no way the God won't keep his promises. If I work hard and do my best, we'll be able to find the people who need the gospel (well that's everyone, isn't it!), and are willing to hear it. We'll keep trying!

Thanks for all you do! Hopefully, a week from now, I'll have received your letters, and will be able to answer things that you're interested in!

Love,

- Elder Luke



Notes:

The e-mail title says, as near as I can tell,

In Korean, "Hello!"

The word written in Korean in the salutation means, as near as I can tell, "you."  Maybe in this case it means "everybody," as in "hello, everybody"?  I don't know, Andrew's language skills are soon going to surpass what I can figure out with help from Google Translate.

No comments:

Post a Comment