Sunday, September 1, 2013

Hello! (September 1, 2013)



안녕하세요!

I hope everyone is doing well! I might be finally getting used to the missionary schedule now! My first two weeks were a little rough - I was pretty badly jetlagged out, and then was just tired for like the first month (don't really know why, maybe my body was just adjusting to the new country?). The past couple weeks though, I feel like I've gotten at least most of the rest I need, and so hopefully I can work a little bit harder because of that.

I just recieved a letter this Thursday - it was the one with "Language Fun" from Dad, I believe. I guess you've already talked with the office missionaries/AP's - I talked with them a bit too. I don't know what you decided together, but hopefully, things will all get ironed out. If nothing else, I am getting letters, just really late, which isn't a huge deal.

Oh, and for Mom - my cough is gone. I think I was still coughing a little when I left the MTC, but it hasn't been a problem since I've been to Korea. I don't think I've coughed here unless I was choking on water (or was eating *real* Korean food). So I'm healthy and fine over here, though I think I've lost a little weight. My teachers at the MTC said that Korean-going elders normally lose a little weight (sister missionaries gain a little weight because there's a lot of sister members that are nice enough to feed the missionaries. Elders aren't allowed to eat unless there's another man there, and most men are working... lucky sisters!); in any case, one of my belts don't fit me anymore. I think it was a little big to begin with though. Korean people are seriously skinny though - it's all the kimchi, I'll bet.

A fun story: we were visiting church last Saturday, and when we walked up to the door, there was water pouring out from it. That wasn't a good sign, so we investigated to find that most of the church had been flooded. I'm not sure what the problem was, but some water line somewhere busted, and it was like it was raining in the church. Ironically, the reason we went to church in the first place is because we had just cleaned the carpets, and we were checking to see if they were dry yet. Luckily, the water was mostly in the hallway with tiling, not the carpeted classrooms (one room was absolutely soaked). The problem came from the kitchen, which of course, was on the second floor. The water was cascading down the staircase, and it was kind of pretty. We called the man in charge of maintanance, and he drove up in his van, and we spent the next 3-4 hours drying out the church.

Once we turned the water off, all we had to do was kind of herd the water out the front door, so it wasn't as hard as I'd though it would be. Since we were drying carpets already, we had a couple of big fans which helped us out a lot, and the rest of the water we just either swept out of the church with a broom, or mopped it up. It's a good thing we found the leak before Sunday! Oh, but we didn't get to do anything we planned for the day though, but I guess it all works out fine.

Still no investigators, and we're still trying to follow up on hopefuls. We invited one guy to church, and he seemed willing to come (he was asking what time, where, etc.), but didn't show up on Sunday. We might have to go out of our way and maybe pick him up at his house and bring him to church... we'll see.

Oh, I've been able to talk to a couple of Japanese people here. I don't know enough to talk about church stuff, and I keep saying the Korean word for "missionary" instead of the Japanese, but it's been fun. Usually, some other missionary starts talking, and they respond with "Oh, I'm Japanese, sorry I can't understand." Then I get called to talk to them. Mostly, it's just like "Oh, what are you doing in Korea?", but it's pretty brave of people to come to Korea without knowing much Korean (I guess I'm in the same boat though.......)

Well, we'll keep looking for people to teach. I know that there are people ready to hear the Gospel out here in 영도 and Busan, and that the Lord blesses and will bless us to be able to share His message with them. Just a little more patience, right? Thanks for all of your prayers, and all of your support - it makes working so much easier knowing that there's family and friends cheering me on. Keep working hard in the US, and I'll do my best in Korea!

Love,
- Elder Luke



Note: The Korean word in the text is Yeongdo.



Andrew and Elder Jo.  It looks like this is in a fancy department store.



Flooded kitchen at the church. Note that this looks much nicer than most of the churches I saw in Japan, especially in an area with just a small branch!



The kitchen flood.  Note the water running down from the ceiling above the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment