Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hello~! (August 11, 2013)

안녕하세요!

How is everyone? Good, I hope!

I don't have a ton of time today (I spent a lot of email time writing to people in my district...), but I'll do what I can.

---

First, a few questions...

How do you want me to send pictuers? Elder Jo says that while the computer at the church can do pictures, it's really slow and kind of on the other side of the island. I was thinking I might just send them physically. It's pretty cheap to print them off, and so whenever I have enough pictures that it's worth sending, I'll do so. Other people won't be able to see them though, but I guess we'll see. I haven't had a ton of chances to take pictures...

Oh, and Mom, can you send me some recipes? Cooking is harder than I thought without the internet. I don't even know if I can print stuff off, but maybe some ideas? I don't know. Pork and eggs are pretty cheap in Korea, and then chicken is a little more expensive, and beef seems to be a no-no.

Along with that, what's something that we could cook or bake that Koreans would like? We've had a few times where we would visit a less active, and they didn't want to see us. Maybe if we brought like some pumpkin bread or something to them, we could tempt them to at least open the door and talk to us a little... I don't know, what would be good? There's a Costo here, so we can buy most ingredients if we have to I think.

And Dad - I might need the bishop and stake president's email. I'm not 100% sure, but I figure I might as well ask so if I need it later, I'll have it on hand.

Thanks!
---

Back to a little about missionary work...

For some reason, I think my testimony's grown a lot just being in Korea. Maybe it's being away from home makes me think more about families and God and things like that. My studying's really been good here. It makes me a little sad to think that my scripture study before wasn't as good as it is now. The Book of Mormon just seems to make more sense. I can't explain it very well, but study diligently, and you'll learn a lot!

It's kind of weird - we haven't been super successful in 영도, but I'm still happy. I get to see little miracles every day, and so even if the day doesn't turn out exactly how we wanted it to (like we go to visit people, and everyone's away from home or something like that), I still feel satisfied. Now, there's still a lot more that I need to work on, but the work isn't as hard as I had feared it might be.

I still don't know what people are saying when they talk, but I've met some really nice people. There was this one man that we met on the bus - he was taking a look a Elder Jo's nametag, and so he started talking to him. The man was really kind - he kept interrupting himself to tell me that I was handsome (which is kind of weird, but I'll take a compliment any day. Oh, and as a side note, I've had 2-3 people tell me I look like Brad Pitt. I forget what he looks like, but I'm pretty sure he's blonde, and no, I don't look like him...). Anyways, no idea what they talked about, but the man offered to shake my hand before he got off the bus, which I happily accepted. It's little experiences like that that make me want to find others like him and I don't know, just be friends with them and talk to them about the Gospel.

So I'm still working on talking to people, and I'm improving bit by tiny bit. We were on the bus, and things worked out so that I was standing in a place where to talk to this guy, I had to be the one to say hello. I did (it was scary!), and talked a tiny bit. Elder Jo continued talking to him, and managed to give him a Book of Mormon, and get his number. We texted him later that night, and he said he read a little bit! I don't know if we've heard back from him since, but that makes me realize that simply put, if I don't say anything, people can't hear the Gospel.

Thanks for all your prayers. I know it's because of your faith that I get to experience these tiny blessings! I'll keep trying to improve!

- Elder Luke


Notes:

The first Korean word is "anyeonghaseyo," the standard Korean greeting.  The second is "Yeongdo," which of course is the name of the area he's in.

No comments:

Post a Comment