Saturday, August 24, 2013

1/8? (August 18, 2013)


Anyeonghaseo!

Just a thought: if you consider the time in the MTC, I've been on my mission for now 3 months, which means I'm about 1/8 of the way done (unless my math is off, which is possible since I haven't used it for so long...). Whoa, and here I am, not even able to understand people! But from the emails I've been getting from other people in my district, that seems to be fairly normal, so I won't worry too much. Just do what I can now, and the rest will work out.

Thanks mom for the recipes! Hopefully, we'll be able to make like real food now - we've basically just been taking whatever we have, throwing it in a frying pan, covering it in Korean hot sauce, then eating it with rice and kimchi and calling it a meal. It works.

Oh, and thanks for the picture of Brad Pitt. I can see the resemblance in the picture, it's it's a little off-putting...

As far as mail goes, 조 장로님 said to keep sending it to the mission office, and they'll forward the letter to wherever I am. I haven't been getting that many though - if there's some meeting that we have to go to the office for, they'll just hold it. I'm not sure what's going on, but I've only received a post card from South Carolina the letter you wrote on the 28th of July (which I got on the 14th of August by the way). So, uh, just keep doing what you're doing. If there's anything really important that I need to know or a question you want answered sooner rather than later, emails are going to be better.

Okay, so some stories:

I thought I met this really friendly Korean on the bus - he yelled "HELLO" from halfway across the bus when he saw me, and told me to sit next to him. I was really excited - he seemed to recognize that we were missionaries, and he seemed to speak a little English. He kept talking to me, and I understood maybe 10 words out of the probably hundreds he said. I think he told Elder Jo to take care of me, and then he said he had to get off. Right before he did, he told me that he was drunk (I understood the work "alcohol," and he mimed drinking. Oh, it was 3:30 pm on a Sunday afternoon...), so hopefully, that's why I couldn't understand him, not because, like, you know, Korean's hard. He was a nice drunk though!

Some elders in my district are teaching a Buddhist monk; "A legit monk," as they've told me. He actually lives in a Buddhist temple and does whatever monks do in temples, so that's pretty cool. We're still not currently teaching anyone at the moment, but we have a couple of contacts that if we could actually contact, seem likely. Oh, and we got a referral last night from other missionaries - one of their investigators are moving or returning, or somehow coming back to Yeoungdo, so hopefully, we can start teaching him. 

We met this kid (I don't know what to call him) while we were going to drop off some stuff at the church. Since we were going there anyways, Elder Jo invited him to take a quick tour of the chapel. Surprisingly, he said he had time and, sure, he'd do it. We walked in, and Elder Jo pointed out a picture of Christ on the wall. They talked a little bit about that, and we both felt the Spirit (and hopefully he did too). We took a look at the baptismal font, explained a little bit about the importance of baptism, and concluded with prayer. It was really good - we'd never met him before, and he was willing to take a look at our church with us. Hopefully, he had a spiritual experience too. We've been trying to get a hold of him again to see if he can meet again, but no luck so far... We'll see!

Thanks for everything! Korean and Korea is still tough, but I'm learning a lot every day!

- Elder Luke



Note:

The Korean word is "Jo-jangnonim," or "Elder Jo."

No comments:

Post a Comment