Monday, April 6, 2015

Transfer 15, week 5 (April 6, 2015)



안녕하세요(Annyeonghaseyo!)
 
It's been a really really crazy week. Busy with all the random stuff that come up, haha.
 
Sister 이예진 (I Yejin) received the Gift of the Holy Ghost, so she's officially the newest member in 상인 (Sangin)! We didn't really explain the ordinance very well I think, and so she seemed like a little bit embarrassed, haha. She said that she thought that it was just going to be the bishop doing the ordinance and not the bishop plus another 6 people. But there was no problem there and that's all safely over now.
 
Brother 이진산 (I Jinsan) came to church as well, which was a huge relief. He only came to sacrament meeting last time (well, he and his sister were late to church, so they were only there 2 hours but still), so I think he's doing well. We're planning on trying to talk to him again next week and see how he feels about starting the lessons up again and preparing for baptism. I think for now, he's pretty content with just coming to church and listening, but I guess if that's what he wants, we'll let him do that until he feels more ready.
 
We tried to call their mother and invite, but she didn't pick up. We've got general conference next week, and then ward conference, and so we've got good excuses to try to get her to come out, haha.
 
Oh, and the sister missionaries (they're pretty close to 이예진s (Sis. I Yejin- I've known her longer, and Elder Boome and I taught more lessons to her, but in the end, she likes them more, haha. She texted the sisters asking if it would be okay for her to call them sometimes when she wants to talk. 이진산b (Bro. I Jinsanwould never ask to randomly call us! It's a girl thing I guess....) said that 이예진s (Sis. I Yejinhad shown them her new scriptures (the triple combination our bishop gave) and told them that she had read up to 1 Nephi 5. Apparently she said that it was really fun and interesting to read - so she's been reading from it a little bit every day it seems. It's really awesome that she's been doing that and enjoying it too - Elder Boome is constantly amazed at how good she is haha. I don't think about her progression as much as I should, but she's doing really, really well, and I think she'll continue to do well in the future too!
 
Last week, we went to Busan on Friday; we woke up at 5:30am, and got back to our area like 8:00pm (the bus we wanted to take sold out of tickets so we had to take the next one which was 40 minutes later). Then Saturday was pretty busy (trying) to prepare for the Zone Training Meeting coming up this next Wednesday, and Sunday we did church, weekly planning, and went to a member's house for dinner. We have been sooooo busy lately, haha. Oh, and we visited some district meetings on Wednesday and Thursday, as well as had SPM as well. We've been keeping really busy with "Zone Leader stuff," and not been able to find and teach and do that as much as we want to. It's a little frustrating sometimes, but then we remember that we just had a baptism with an awesome investigator, and we've still got 이진산b (Bro. Jinsanhere and that things are pretty good in 상인 (Sangin).
 
We'll have a few days this week without anything special planned (although those are starting to get filled up with activities...), so I hope we can find some new people to work with.
 
We're planning to visit 손지훈b (Bro. Son Jihun) this week; did I ever tell you about him? The blind less active man?
 
Well, he's really nice, strong Christian, although he seems like he's a little weak in things that just our church believes, so Joseph Smith, Book of Mormon, things like that. Anyways, he likes to have us over like once every 2-3 weeks (and calls me and passive-aggressively half-complains if I don't give him a call every once in awhile. For example, just the other night...
 
"Hello?"
"Hi. Who is this?"
"This is Elder Luke."
"Elder Luke? Really?"
"Yes."
"Oh, I thought you had transferred!"
"...What?"
"Yeah, you hadn't called for such a long time I had assumed you had transfered away!"
"Um, no, I'm still here."
"Ah, I see. That's a relief. Won't you visit me sometime?"
"What time is good for you this week?"
 
And so on.)
 
He's a really nice guy though. Anyways the reason why I mentioned him is because I don't think I wrote about him giving me acupuncture once.
 
He has this fried chicken place he orders from (Korea is HUGE into delivering food to houses), and while it's not that great, missionaries are really nice and kind of drummed up how good this chicken is. It's not bad chicken at all, it's just that it's a little bit closer to average then what I had imagined when I first tasted it. Anyways, last time I went, he really wanted to buy it for Elder Boome since it was his first time, but my stomach was not doing well then ("gastritis"), so we didn't eat it (we had Pizza Hut instead, which I don't think is an appropriate substitute for chicken (which we didn't eat because it's would have been too greasy for me). He called up the Pizza Hut with no idea on what they sell, and so he had the lady on the phone go through the most popular pizzas while she described what goes on each one. He kept telling her that whatever pizza she was describing was "too greasy" and to recommend another one. I think she was pretty frustrated and told him the all pizzas are greasy one way or another, but he countered with "I've got important foreign guests here and one of them has an upset stomach and can't eat greasy foods. What can you recommend for us?" She was probably one step away from telling him that people with upset stomachs shouldn't be eating pizza, but she was really patient. We just got like a normal combination pizza in the end, haha.).
 
Anyways.
 
So he decided that I needed treatment for my upset stomach and recommended acupuncture while mentioning that he was good at it. I look to Elder Boome, who is very excitedly nodding his head "yes" so I told him that I would, haha. Elder Boome is a bad friend.
 
Brother 손 (Son) then proceeds to slap my back and try to collect all the blood into my thumb (kind of like rubbing my arm. Remeber when I said that Elder Jo offered acupuncture when I had an upset stomach?), and once the blood was satisfactorily collected, he tied it off with like a shoelace that he pulled out of nowhere. Brother 손 has diabetes, so he's got a blood sugar reading needle device, which he used to treat my gastritis. Apparently, the place to get acupuncture is on the thumb, below the base of the fingernail and a little to the side.
 
So he stabs me, and blood is coming out, and he keeps telling us how black the blood it (it's normal but it felt rude to argue at that point), and he's getting my blood on his hands and everything was kind of a mess for a few minutes, but I was successfully bled. It was a pretty crazy appointment....! I received acupuncture from a blind less active man.
 
Didn't help though, I was still sick until I went to a real doctor.
 
That's something that happened like a month ago, but there's not too much to write this week, so I hope that story is enough.
 
Thank you for everything!
 
Oh, and Dad, yes, I got the package from Japan. Thanks!
 
And Mom asked about teaching piano - we did that like twice, and then school started so everyone interested in piano stopped coming to our class. We're still doing guitar class though.
 
Thank you for everything! Until next week!
 
Love,
- Elder Luke
 
 
 
Oh, and here are a few silly pictures from visiting district meeting.



No comments:

Post a Comment