Monday, January 26, 2015

Transfer 14, week 1 - Transfers! (January 27, 2014)



안녕하세요~ (Annyeonghaseyo)!
 
So transfers happened last week, and we had a few suprises...
 
1. We lost our B team! Elder Maccarthy was called to go whitewash train in 경주 (Gyeongju) (next city over from Pohang), and Elder 허 (Heo) left, and nobody came to replace them. We had like 10 elders go home this transfer, and maybe 3 come in, so a few other areas were cut down as well. We got all of (well, all two of) the B teams investigators, so it's not a bad thing, but the house feels really quiet now, haha.
 
2. The 상인 (Sangin) sisters came back! The sisters transfered out as I came in, but they're back in 상인 (Sanginafter a 3 month absence. So while we lost our B team, we've got sisters now, so there's still 2 teams in 상인 (Sangin).
 
3. Elder Boome is my companion (again!)! After a 5 transfer separation, Elder Boome and I are somehow companions again. I've only heard of a few other companions that have served together twice, so I was kind of suprised, but here we are together again. I'll be fun. :D
 
So bascially, what that means is that there's 3 missionaries in 상인 (Sanginwho are completely new to the area, so I have to kind of be there to help everyone out. Oh, and all the missionaries in 상인 (Sanginare fpreigners, haha. I think once everyone gets used to things though, things should go smoothly. The ward mission leader called me last Sunday and told me to help everyone out and to try my best to kind of lead in MCM and other church meetings. My last transfer in 광안 (Gwangan) was kind of similar though; I was the oldest missionary, and I knew about the area the best, so I kind had to take charge sometimes, so I don't think it'll be incredibly difficult.
 
In other news, we heard back from Sister 이영숙 (I Yoengsun) after a week of no contact; we invited her and her kids to come to the 겨울 축제 (gyeoul chugje = winter festival) meeting, and she texted back saying that her children had heard bad things about our church from their friends, and so they were a little nervous about coming. She told them them to ask the missionaries about their concerns, and then she told us to call her children and invite them. So long story short, we invited them, they came to the party, and we met afterwards and talked about what they heard. Elder 박 (Bak) kind of lead most of the teaching, but he told them that they had to figure out for themselves what they thought about our church, and kind of left it at that.
 
Come Sunday, they showed up! I guess what we told them was comforting enough (and they said that the people in our church were nice enough that they didn't think our church could be a scary or bad church), and they decided to coming to church and seeing what we were about. The members did a really good job fellowshipping and taking care of them, so I think they'll keep coming to our church meetings. I was kind of worried since they didn't come last week, but we're really hoping they'll keep showing up and learning more about our church!
 
Oh, and I'm not sure what's up with Sister 이영숙 (I Yoengsun), but it seems like she really wants her children to attend our church, so I think she'll encourage them to keep coming. She actually has helped us out a lot in helping her children to come to church (she was busy with work and couldn't come this week)
 
We were really busy with week between meeting with members, and planning for 겨울축제. That's pretty much all we did this week. We spend sooooo much time decorating, planning, practicing, and just preparing for the meeting. A lot of the tangible work went in this week, and there was a lot of last-minute changes, but in the end, we got everything done that needed to.
 
The meeting itself was good. We talked about member missionary work in a little more of a fun way, using a few different videos and plays instead of just speakers. That was about 45 mintues, and then we had different activities and games, and a bunch of ice cream for dessert. We probably had 40-50 members show up, which is a little more then we had expected. I think the people that came had fun - and hopefully they learned a little bit about member missionary work as well. Our ward mission leader did a really good job with the meeting; I think people enjoyed it enough that many people should com next time we hold a meeting.
 
Really, it wasn't super stressful for me because Elder 박 (Bak) and our ward mission leader sort of led the planning, so they figured out the hard stuff while Elder Maccarthy and I made decorations.
 
I'll send a few pictures... (I didn't get any of the activities, since we were too busy...)

I'm not sure why, but our ward mission leader bought us a Disney cake... (I think it was because Elder 박 (Bak) and Elder 허 (Heo) were leaving?)
 
Alrighty, I think that's about it for this week; we were really busy, but things turned out pretty well! Until next week!
 
Love,
- Elder Luke

 


The decorations looked something like this.





No comments:

Post a Comment