Sunday, January 4, 2015

Transfer 13, week 4 (January 5, 2015)



Hello!
 
This week was pretty busy with SPM phone calls and going to Busan for a meeting. We have Zone Training Meeting, interviews with President Barrow, and the actual SPM meeting this week, so a lot of last week was preparing for all that. That's not all that interesting, so I don't know how long of an email I can write this week.
 
We actually spent a lot of time in travel this week; zone leaders are supposed to visit at least one district meeting of each district in their zone, so we went over to the 수성 (Suseong) district this week. Unfortunately, the meeting was held in  경산 (Gyeongsan), which is further away. So our Wednsday schedule looked like this:
 
9:00am - head out to 경산 (Gyeongsan)
11:00am - start district meeting
12:30am - lunch with 수성  (Suseongdistrict
2:00pm - head back to 상인 (Sangin)
3:30pm - prepare message for member
4:00pm - head out to visit said member
5:00pm - visit w/ member
7:00pm - visit nearby less active
8:00pm - back home, do SPM phone calls
 
And Friday, when we went to Busan:
 
5:00am - wake up
6:00am - leave for 부산 (Busan)
9:30am - start meeting
3:00pm - finish meeting
6:30pm - back to 상인 (Sangin), have dinner
7:30pm - plan for ZTM
 
So, as you can see, we're busy but we sometimes have to spend a lot of time outside of our area... Elder 박 (Bak) and I probably need to spend some more time to rethink and try our best to prioritize what we're doing. President Barrow told me that there's always more work do be done then we can do, and that's how it's supposed to be and that's how it will always be. It's our job to prioritize and try our best to focus on the things that matter most.
 
Mom asked a few questions in one of the letters I got, and while I think I answered most of them when we Skyped, I'll try and answer a few of them here!
 
What is your apartment like?
Our apartment is huge! But it's also kind of old and so the wallpaper is not in super good condition, and the some of the flooring is coming off (not that it's actually stuck on; it's just like a huge sheet on the floor. There's a spot in the house where the flooring is ripped off, and you can see the concrete underneath, haha). But it has it's own kitchen, two study rooms, and two bathrooms as well, so it's really convenient. I think the 광안 (Gwangan) house was my favorite, but 상인 (Sangin) is probably second best. If they just remodeled the house, it would be pretty much perfect.
 
What do you do for your morning exercise?
It's really cold outside, so nobody goes running. I had a week where I tried super hard to exercise (just stuff in the house, push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, etc.) but recently, our energy bill has been kind of expensive, so we've been turning the heat down in the house when we sleep, and it's too cold in the morning for me to want to exercise. And we sometimes have stuff to take care of (permissions, phone calls to make, etc) in the morning, so usually I just sit in my chair until it's time to eat breakfast. I probably should exercise.
 
What do you eat for breakfast and what do you cook for dinner often?
Breakfast is usually cereal with toast. Some people do eggs, but I'm never in the mood to fry an egg at 6:50 in the morning. Dinners are pretty random; the member are pretty good at giving us food, so usually Elder 허 (Heo) will cook something up with what we have, and we'll eat that. Rice, a few vegtable side dishes, and some kind of meat or soup is pretty normal.
 
How's your companion?
Good! Elder 박 (Bak), is a really good missionary and he's been teaching me a lot. Actually, he really seems to know a lot about being a leader, solving problems, etc., so I'm kind of worried about what will happen next transfer when he goes home and I'm in charge.
 
Any good sightseeing places in 대구 (Daegu)?
From what I've asked people, no, not really. There's a few temples that are famous; I think our bishop wants to take us to one, so we'll probably go next week. Other than that, there's E-World, an amusement park. I guess there's a few shopping malls, but that's about it I think.
 
What is Christmas like in Korea?
It's not that big. A lot of stores do like "Christmas sales" and things, but it's not that big of a holiday. People tell me Christmas is usually considered a couple's holiday, so a lot of people go on dates, and give their boyfriend/girlfriend presents. A lot of people also spend time with their friends, so it's not as family-based as it is in America.
 
Hm... I think that's about it for this week. Please pray for me that Zone Training Meeting will go well; we need a lot of help, haha. Thank you so much everyone!
 
Love,
Elder Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment