Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Transfer 12, week 1 - Daegu (November 3, 2014)



안녕하세요~ (Annyeonghaseyo)!
 
I got a call last Thursday, and I've been transferred to the 상인 (Sangin) 와드 (wadeu = ward) in 대구 (Daegu)! 대구 (Daeguis the thirdish largest city in Korea, and this is my first time in the Daegu area (it's the northernmost zone in our mission). I'll also be serving here as a zone leader.
 
My new companion's name is Elder 박제훈 (Elder Jaehoon Bak), and I've heard a lot of good things about him.
 
So there's not a ton of time today - we took a bus for like an hour and a half to get here, and then had to drop by the house to drop stuff off - so this will probably be short.
 
Now, back to 광안 (Gwangan)...
 
This last week was really, really slow. Our ward mission leader asked us to make a few records for him - a digital record for our investigators (we keep really detailed records on paper, but those records aren't supposed to leave the house), as well as a simple record of everyone who comes to English class. Since we knew that one of us was transferring, we pretty much spent this last week typing up those records (which turns out to be a good thing since I left, and I knew the most about the investigators), which means we sat at a computer for a very long time.
 
Which probably would have been bad if we were really busy, but Elder Lees and I have kind of had a lot of time in 광안 (Gwangan)...
 
Brother 박신곤 (Bak Singon) responded to one of our texts (actually, the one I wrote about last week) and he said that his parents don't want him to meet with us anymore. They're strong members of another church, and so because of that, we're not going to be able to meet with him anymore.
 
So that puts our investigator count at 1 (Brother 정대영 (Jeong Daeyeong)), which is not really a good state to leave 광안 (Gwangan) in, haha.
 
In more positive news, our ward missionary meeting went well. There was a lot of last minute planning that had to go on, but I think people enjoyed it. We had one part where we gave people a list of situations that they might encounter (people inviting them to a baseball game on Sunday, and then practicing how to say know and teach about our belief about the law of the Sabbath), and then they practiced that for like 15 minutes in small groups. I think people really enjoyed that - it was a church meeting, but kind of had a relaxed atmosphere to it.
 
There were some other things that didn't really go to plan - we had a suprise visit from an Area Seventy who wanted to give a talk at the end of our meeting, but our ward mission leader did a really, really good job of making everything run smoothly, so I'm really grateful to him. He is a really, really good guy, and I think I'll miss him and how much he did to help us out.
 
Ah, I've taken a few pictures with members and things, but the computer I'm on doesn't allow pictures, so I'll have to send those later...
 
Have a good week! Sorry for the short email!
 
Love,
Elder Luke


Note:

대구: Daegu, which is the fourth largest city (Busan is second) and third largest metropolitan area in South Korea. The city has a population of about 2.5 million. It is actually slightly south of Pohang, where he was in the area before last. You can see it on the map here.

No comments:

Post a Comment