Monday, October 27, 2014

Transfer 11 - week 6, transfer week~ (October 27, 2014)



안녕하세요~ (Annyeonghaseyo)!
 
We had another 5k run today. The Barrows must really, really like it.
 
Because of that (and because Elder Lees and I needed haircuts to stay lookin' sharp) this email might be a little short. We don't have a ton of time, and I'm pretty tired. Elder Lees and I had gone jogging every morning (nothing too intense, usually 10 minutes or so) but we've stopped doing that since it's gotten cold. It's probably a good idea excercise, but the mornings are rough, haha.
 
광안(Gwangan)'s pretty much hit the bottom in terms of investigators. We talked with 정대영b (Jeong Daeyeong) about asking his parents for baptism, but he seems really set on not asking his parents about it. We asked him how we could help him be baptised, and he told us to give up trying to meet his parents. He's done all the lessons, understands them well, AND passed all the baptismal interview questions, so I'm not sure what's next... we need to keep meeting with him, so maybe we'll read from the scriptures with him or something. I don't know...
 
And we STILL haven't been able to meet with 박신곤b (Bak Singon)! (!!!!!) We sent him kind of an ultimatum text basically saying "Hey, we don't want to keep bothering you if you're not interested, but we really want to meet with you because we know what we teach will help you. Is there anything wrong? What's changed?" and we're still waiting for a response. We get spooked every time we get a text.
 
On the bright side, we were able to meet that new investigator I wrote about last week. His name is 김상윤b (Kim Sangyun) (the "b" stands for "brother" and it's kind of a shorthand used very frequently by the missionaries). We had a really good lesson with him - we talked about our purpose and how we work as missionaries (so we mentioned baptism and conversion (really, our purpose as missionaries is not really to simply "baptise" but "We want to help you be converted to our church and be baptised to become a member" is a lot more clear to most people than "we want to help you to come unto Christ"), and talked about the commitments we give), and he asked about some of the questions he had. We planned on talking about the Restoration, but he had questions that where more leaning towards the Plan of Salvation, so we ended up discussing that. He asked really, really good questions. He started to talk about the Creation, so I kind of feared that he would ask "how did God create the Earth?" but instead, he asked the much, much better "I understand that God did create the Earth, but I don't get why God created the Earth." I feel like that's a really deep question; 김상윤b (Kim Sangyunseems to be a really sharp guy.
 
Unfortunately, he just kind of had passing interest - I think he'd be willing to meet again, but he's busy and he said he'd contact us if he had time. So right now, we can't meet with him... Oh and his wife seriously hates all churches and all religions apparently, so that doesn't help. He said he had to meet with us secretly.
 
Mom asked a question about the picture of Elder Lees and I at the restaraunt. We ate 돼지국밥 (dwaejigugbab = pork soup) there, which is kind of a pork-based soup. It's a very mild broth made of pork bone (I think) with pork chops in it. They give you a bunch of stuff to throw in as well, so I normally also add some very normal noodles (like somen), some red paste that I guess adds flavor, some kind of vegtable that looks like grass (I think it's onion greens, but now that I actually think of it, it's probably just some kind of grass), and then you usually dump in a bowl of rice and eat it all together. It's one of Elder Lees's favorite Korean dishes, and I think most Americans like it, since it's not TOO Korean.
 
And then Dad had a few questions on General Conference, and I probably already wrote all this but here it goes...
 
I don't think General Conference is broadcast at all - each ward or branch is responsible for getting their own stuff set up. So usually, somone brings their laptop, connects to the wifi, hooks it up to the projector, and that's how everyone watches it. There's really no set time either; different wards do it at different times. We (the American missionaries) just watched it directly from the computer, so it was pretty easy. We were given time to watch it all as well, so we didn't have to miss any sessions.
 
I had exchanges with one of our Zone Leaders, Elder Himmer this week. He's a pretty intense guy; but the exchanges were really good. I was able to talk with him alot about how we can be better missionary leaders and missionaries in general.

Not a lot of time, so I'll have to wrap things up.
It kind of seems like I'll be transferring this time around - trainers/trainees only stay together for 2 transfers, so someone's going to have to leave 광안 (Gwangan)... I'll write about that next week! Bye!

Love,
Elder Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment