Sunday, May 4, 2014

Transfer 7, week 5 (May 5, 2014)



Hello!
 
Sorry, we don't have much time to write today; we're kind of in a weird place.
 
President Gilbert lets missionaries who are on their last transfer go back to old areas and meet with investigators/other people they know. So we're travelling back to Busan today to meet someone who I think was Elder Lee's first investigator. We're emailing from kind of a pay computer, so I have like 20 minutes to write this email, so it might be short...
 
I can't remember what we did for Christmas, but I think if you call us the same way you did then, all will be well. Like I said, anytime is fine for me - we start our morning study at 8:00 Korean time, and then we just have P-day the whole day, so just call like sometime bettween 8:00 and 12:00 or like 1:00, and we should still be in the house. Since you're getting this email a bit early today, please write back, and I'll try to find some time to double check when you're going to call. I totatally spaced on the Skype thing though, so I didn't ask anyone at church. :( It, uh, might not happen.
 
Ugh, 15 minutes left.
 
Let's see, we just kind of had a normal week this week. Our recent convert, Brother 김지원 (Kim Jiwon) is doing well. He attended a single adult meeting/activity and he said he had a lot of fun there, and he got a calling in the Young Men's presidency, so that's really good as well. We still meet with him like 3-4 times a week.
 
We talked about our investigators during weekly planning, and we're a bit concerned about Brother 전성호 (Jeon Seongho). My companion's met him for almost 3 months now, and he's not reaaaaally progressing one way or the other. We kind of decided to meet with him until the end of hte transfer, and then we'll decide whether to meet him or not. It's too bad if we have to drop him - he's a really nice guy. But I guess our job isn't to just meet nice people, haha.
 
We cancelled our English class for a couple of weeks to try to figure out how to run it better. My companion says that when he first got here, some 10ish people were attending English class, but we had just 1 last time we taught. So we'll be making a lot of phone calls to old English class students, and will try to figure out how to take it from here.
 
We do have some good news about English class though - we've kind of accidentally created a new class that's been going suprisingly well. We do a "free talking" English class on Thursday nights. Originally, I think it was just one person that wanted to speak English, and the missionaries met with him because Thursday evening happened to be time they had. He brought a friend, and they atteneded together for awhile. My first week in Pohang, someone they met on the street showed up (I believe she approached the missionaries and said "Can you teach me English?"), so we had 3 for awhile. Anyways, long story short, we have 5 solid members who seem like they'll show up every week.
 
We had a new guy show up last week, Will. He made friends with the people in our English class incredibly fast (in like 30 minutes...), and we all went out to dinner together after we finished the class. I still can't believe it, but he was trading phone numbers, things like that.
 
And the other English class members kind of did missionary work for us. One of the ladies that attend was telling Will about how our English class helps her to focus on what's important in life, and how she loves to hear our spiritual messages. We were on exchanges that day, and my companion ended up giving a Book of Mormon to Will, and another class member started telling him how good the Book of Mormon is (oddly, I think the guy that said that is someone who used to be a former investigaor, but decided he's interested in religion, but not our church).
 
Anyways, the free talking class is doing really well, and the conversation is really good. It feels like we can solve the world's problems by meeting and talking to each other, haha. (Of course, we're hoping to find investigators through our English class as well...)
 
I don't have a lot of time left now, so I'll have to end it here, but we'll be able to talk to each other next week! Have a great week, and I love you all!
 
Love,
Elder Luke!

No comments:

Post a Comment