Monday, December 15, 2014

Transfer 13, week 1 (December 15, 2014)



안녕하세요 (Annyeonghaseyo)!
 
Last week was transfer week, but nobody in our house got transfered, so everything will be pretty much the same here in 상인 (Sangin). It's Elder 박재훈 (Bak Jaehun)'s last transfer, as well as Elder 허신행's (Heo Sinhaeng) last (I don't know what to call him... roommate? fellow 상인 (Sangin) missionary?), so we'll definately see some changes next transfer. Until then, things will be pretty quiet.
 
It's been kind of snowy in 대구 (Daegu) - it's snowed like twice now I think. Nothing major; it snowed maybe half an inch once, but that melted by noontime. It's pretty cold though - I'm going to have to buy warmer socks because my feet are always cold, haha.
 
This last week was really good. Well, actually Elder 박 (Bak) got really sick and threw up and had to rest a lot (don't worry, everyone else is healthy. I'm pretty sure whatever he has isn't contagious. Or at least, nobody else has got it yet. It was probably something weird he ate, but we had lunch with the district and then dinner together, so maybe he's just super unlucky) , but other then that, I think things are slowly starting to pick up in 상인 (Sangin).
 
To be honest, we really weren't busy the first like 4 weeks here. Well, we were busy, but it was a lot of planning and meetings and other stuff that zone leaders have to deal with. I wrote last week about how excited we were for this week, and while it didn't turn out exactly how we wanted (partly because Elder 박 (Bakwas sick and pretty much couldn't eat food), things are still going well.
 
We started meeting with Brother 배경태 (Bae Gyeongtae). He's a less active that was baptized like a year ago, but was reactivated by a missionary coming back to 대구 (Daegu) to visit members and friends. I think it was his 3rd or 4th time coming to church when I first got to 상인 (Sangin), so he's been to church for like 10 weeks in a row now, so he's not considered less active anymore. New coverts are supposed to meet with the missionaries to learn more about our church (we've got a program called the 90 day program that we use), but since Brother 배 (Bae) didn't recieve those lessons, we've decided to go over them again with him. So while it's not a new investigator, he's someone new that we can meet with, plan for, help and teach, which is really really awesome. :D
 
There's another recent convert of about 6 months, Sister 최진영 (Choe Jinyeong) who's most of the way through the 90 day program, but the 상인 (Sangin) sister missionaries were taken out of our area before she finished all the things she needed to learn. We kind of put off meeting with her since she's a woman, and we need a man to meet us with her, but we meet her once this week. We only need to meet with her one or two more times to be done, and then I'm not sure what we'll do after that (her sons and husband aren't members, so that's kind our big goal with her, to help her family be baptized as well).
 
We've also got a new person showing up to English class - he's a high school student who is super into foreign languages (his English name is "Fieheieht" or something. It's apparently German for "freedom." I probably would have thought that that was super cool when I was his age too...). He's only shown up once to English class, but I'm preeeetttyyy sure he'll keep coming. We had a party at the church after English class last Saturday, and he stayed and hung out with our members for a few hours. I don't think he talked with a lot of people or made bunch of friends or anything, but I don't think he felt super uncomfortable or anything, and he's probably come out to other ward activities if we invite him.
 
Other than that, we've got few potential investigators here and there (a few contacts we've forgotten to recontact, a guy who called wanting to know about English class (who actually came to English class after the class started, and came up to the door that we were having it, but didn't go in because it was closed. Noooo~!)), and it feels like we're slowly pulling together a group of people we can work with. If we can continue to work like this, I think we can find investigators and be teaching a lot more by the end of the transfer.
 
Mom asked me about whether I like being a zone leader and doing zone leaders stuff or being a normal missionary and doing that; it's hard to say, because it always feels like the grass is greener on the other side, you know? I think the area I'm in is hard until I transfer, and then I look back on it with like fondness or something - I looked at leaders and thought that they were so good and important and stuff, and then when I become a leader I realize that it's just more work, haha. Well, it's a different kind of work in any case. I should just be happy with where I'm at, right?
 
Oh, and I'll try to get Skype to work for this Christmas. We're allowed to call our Christmas day, so your Christmas Eve. I've emailed Dad a little bit about the details, so hopefully everything will work out by the 25th.
 
Talk to you next week~! (Oh, email will be on the 24th, and not that Monday, so it'll be late because of our Christmas meeting).
 
Love,
- Elder Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment