Monday, August 25, 2014

Transfer 10, week 2 (August, 18, 2014)



안녕하십니까? (Annyeonghasimnika?)
Normal life in 광안 (Gwangan) again, after a crazy week of meetings, and hanging out in 구포 (Gupo)! Hopefully, we'll be able to gather our wits and be able to stay and work in 광안 (Gwangan) for this next week...
So.
A lot went on this week, but I spent a ton of time outside of 광안 (Gwangan), which is kind of unfortunate. There were a bunch of meeting related to training, so that's kind of what I did...
We spend our time on Monday in 구포, then the morning of Tuesday deep cleaning the carpets in 구포, and then we dashed off to 광안 (Gwangan) to make it to English class. We taught that, did some shopping, and I got a badly-needed haircut, and we spent that night in 광안 (Gwangan). We had a meeting in the afternoon in 광안 (Gwangan), then another meeting in 구포 (Gupo), and we spent the rest of Wednesday in 구포 (Gupo). The new missionaries were supposed to show up Wednesday, but apparently there was some kind of airplane trouble and so half of them got stuck in Texas for a day. But everyone managed to make it by Thursday, so we met together, all the trainers and trainees and had a bunch of meetings. We first had a "전도 activity," where we bascially step out and try to find people interested in the gospel.
I think when I first did the 전도 (jeondo = missionary work = 伝道, certainly) activity, I was super scared and didn't talk to anyone except for one old man that my companion basically made me talk to. The new missionaries were really enthusiastic it seemed - they certainly did better than I did my first time! It was refreshing to be able to head out and just try to talk to people - it's been a transfer since I've done like straight-up 전도 (jeondo).
It ended up pretty decently - my last companion and I met a bunch of really nice old men who were interested in English class, and we even got a contact from one of them which is really good. I think I'll get pictures from that activity later...
Actually, I didn't really do anything like that exciting this week. We had a meeting, we met our new companions and then headed out to our areas!
My companion is named Elder Lees, and he's from Seattle. I don't know him super well yet of course, but he seems like he really really wants to work hard. He's not afraid to talk or speak up durning lessons, which is really good. He's concerned about not having any idea what's going on yet of course, but I'm pretty sure I had no idea what I was doing for the my first month in Korea, so he's on scheldule.
Other than that...
Brother 정대영 (Jeong Daeyeong) is about the same - he's a really good investigator, came to church, is praying daily and reading from the Book of Mormon...
He did mention that he wanted us to go over all the commandments again - I don't know if I mentioned it, but Elder Hansen (came to 광안 (Gwangan) for exchanges) and Elder 홍의택 (Hong Witaek, Andrew's previous companion) taught him all of the commandments in once lesson, and there's no way he could have learned everything he needed to then (apparently, that was the time we met him after we set a baptismal date, and so he asked, "What do I need to do to prepare for baptism?" to which my companion replied, "Keep the commandments." "What are the commandments?" so then they just taught like probably waaaaay too much. Anyways...). So we'll be spending the next few weeks reviewing those and wrapping up the missionary lessons. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out a plan for him to be baptized as well.
Honestly, it doesn't seem like training is that much differerent than normal missionary work - you get more time to study in the morning so that you can practice and learn together, but I haven't felt that there's been a huge difference in 광안 (Gwangan) yet, though I think part of that is an answer to my prayers. I've been praying a lot for help in all that I do, and I think the Lord's blessed me to not feel like stressed out about training. What I'm trying to say that I'm doing well. :)
We kind of had a slow week because of all this training stuff, so I think that's about it. If you have any questions, please send them my way! Sorry for the short email, and have a great week!
Love,
- Elder Luke


Note:

안녕하십니까? (Annyeonghasimnika?) A standard greeting, a more polite version of "annyeonghaseyo."





No comments:

Post a Comment