Sunday, July 13, 2014

Transfer 9, week 4 (July 14, 2014)



Hello!
 
As always, I don't know how much time we have. Our sisters want to go shopping (and my companion needs to go buy new pants - he says he's gained too much weight, and only has one pair of pants that fit now...), so I'm not sure when we'll be done with emails. But in case I cut this short, please know that I am doing well!
 
Let's see, we met with Brother 정대영 (Jeong Daeyeong; Andrew talked about him last week) several times this week as well. He's doing pretty good, and is progressing at a good rate. I'm still not sure how much faith he has, and how much he just likes our church and missionaries, but we're working with him. He's been opening up a bit, and asking questions, so that's really good. We set his baptismal date for the 10th of August, but I think we might have to push it back a few weeks.
 
So a couple of activities planned for this week: our sisters found a couple of young families who are really interested in English, so we've been trying to prepare a kid's English class for a couple of weeks. It's really hard. Basically, the better people are at English, and the more they want to learn, the easier teaching is. In an advanced class, you can probably teach and hour and a half of English with 15 minutes of preparation. But the opposite is also true; we're going to have to plan a lot of activities and games and interactive things for the kids. To be honest, I'm not really looking forward to it, but the sisters (and the branch members) really, really seem to want to do it. It's a mess of planning, thinking, trying to get permisison for stuff, calling members, collecting materials, etc etc. With any luck, we'll try teaching on Friday to member's children, and if that goes well, actually starting teaching from next week.
 
We also are planning an activity (a ward social I guess?), but planning for that is getting a little annoying as well. We bishop seems dead set on doing on the 19th, but the planning in not even close to being done (me personally, I think it'd be worth it to push things back a bit and be able to plan and prepare really well, but I'm not really in charge...). The missionaries are in charge of the activities, and we had almost everything down, it was decided that we need to do other activities, so it looks like we'll be doing a looot of planning this week. :(
 
Lessons with 윤영언 (Yun Yeongeon) (older guy, he's like 70?, he was found through English class) have been going on slowly but steadily. He brought a friend to English class recently, so we've been teaching both of them together. His friend is super chill and friendly, and it makes the lesson feel a little too relaxed at times, but he came early to English class this week to study the gospel with us, so I think he plans on continuing to meet.
 
I was kind of sick this Wednsday - I don't know what it was, but I had some dizzyness and a pretty bad headache. Unfortunately, that was a day that we had an appointment with a member, and she was really planning on feeding us well. She took us to this meat place (not sure what it's called in English...), and ordered a TON of food. I was sick, and so I took like three bites and gave up on eating, and so the sister that was feeding us forced my companion to eat all my food, and then ordered more for my companion to eat. Elder 홍의택 (Hong Witaek; Andrew's companion) did the math, and I think he ended up eating like 5-6 people's worth of meat, which to his calculation is some 4,000-5,000 calories. He didn't have dinner that night (which was another meal appointment at a meat restaurant), and I took some medicine and felt better, so I ate most of his portion for dinner. It was a pretty crazy day. One meal appointment with a member a day is plenty enough.
 
I ended up giving a talk with an Elder Brown (who's serving in 영도!) (Yeongdo; Andrew's first area) at Zone meeting this last week. It was super stressful, more so because I had to give a talk with someone else (giving a talk alone is easier because you have full control over everything, and you don't have to worry about other people's opinions). I think we spent like 4 or 5 hours on the phone trying to work out the details of how we wanted to give the talk. I think it turned out okay (not exactly how I would have hoped), but it's over now, haha.
 
Oh, and before I wrap up - I send a package over from Korea to home while I transferred from Pohang to Gwangan (so this last transfer). Don't get too excited, it's just a bunch of things that I don't feel like hauling around - books, clothes, sheets, things like that. I wanted to send goodies, but I didn't have time to go shopping. Sorry! The package will probably get there in like a month and a half (hopefully). Thanks!
 
I hope you're doing well in all you're doing back home!
 
Love,
- Elder Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment