Sunday, January 12, 2014

Transfer 5, week 1! (January 13, 2014)


Hello!

So this transfer I'll be staying in 서귀포 with Elder Brower as expected, there's an elder coming into my district who's younger than me, as far as time in Korea is concerned. This will be my first transfer with me not being the youngest in the district. I feel old.

Oh, and I haven't been getting letters recently. The last one was the letter with the Stake Presidency's Christmas message in it. But they had to do some reshuffling with postal stuff, so maybe that's it. If I don't get anything for the next couple of weeks, I'll complain to the office Elders :).

So... this week...

Yesterday, we got invited over to our District President (he lives in our branch), President 윤성조 (Sungjo Yoon). He's a really nice man - he teaches martial arts, and so the 1st floor of his house is kind of a dojo. His English is surprisingly good; I think he studies on his own. They fed us dinner, we taught the family English, and then we shared a message.

Afterwards, President 윤성조 asked me a bunch of questions about classic rock music. I guess he's pretty into to that kind of music, plus like country or something. Anyways, he was asking me about the lyrics to one song, and whether they were clean lyrics or not. He seemed really confused; he told me like 3 times, "Some members say that this is bad song, but other members say that this is not bad song." It's a good thing that he's concerned about his music I guess! :D

We couldn't meet with Mike this week, which means we met with him only like twice in six week, which is a really bad rate for meeting investigators...

But we did manage to meet with Brother 전준식, and he's doing well. He said that what he really wants is to learn English, but he's open to religion as well. A lot of the things he believes seems similar to ours; he kind of went off last time about how bad alcohol - as a matter of fact, I think he said that one of the reasons why he started learning English is so he'd have something to do other than drink.

Our teaching is going a bit slower than we had hoped, but last time, he agreed really heartedly (is that not a word?) to try praying every day, and read from the Book of Mormon. His actual words were "해봐야하죠," which translates to something like, "Of course I have to try!" So it seems like he's doing well. We want to set a concrete baptismal date with him soon, but we'll see how things go...

Oh, and do you remember 이효성? He was our only student in English class for awhile, back in 영도. He gave me a call for some reason (just to say hi I think?), which was a little surprising, since I haven't been in 영도 for a month and a half. I don't know why, but he called everyone "the." He told me that "the Platero" said I was down in 서귀포, and asked if I was "reunited with the 창영 (my trainer)."

Other than that, things are pretty normal this week. We're going to start trying and visit less/non active members, but I think most of them have moved at this point. We tried calling everyone, and out of a list of maybe 200 numbers, like 175 of them are what we call "없는  번호"s, which basically means that the phone number no longer exists. I forget what it's called in English... disconnect number? Dead number? Something like that.

Alright, that's about it I guess! This week's been good. We've been keeping busy, which is all we can ask for! I've been a little sickish this week, but through prayer, I been able to get over the worst of it (mostly when I don't feel like doing anything, but there's things to be done). Gods answers our prayers; I've never had a moment where I was like "Wow, just at this moment I've received strength to do missionary work!!!," but I always make it through the day, and even if I'm exhausted, I don't feel like it when teaching a lesson, or meeting with a member, or whatever it might be.

Thanks for everything! Tell Keiko-obachan thank you for all the food. There's way too much for us to eat! :D

Love,
- Elder Luke



Notes:

서귀포: Seogwipo, his current area at the south of Jeju Island.

윤성조 (Sungjo Yoon): "Yun Seongjo" in standard Romanization, the classic rock loving district president.

전준식: Jeon Junsik, the "English spaz" he mentioned before on December 23 and December 27

해봐야하죠: "Haebwayahajyo," which Google Translate renders as "Must do."

이효성: I Hyosang, a college student Andrew met in Yeongo. Andrew talked about him in his October 7 letter.

영도: Yeongdo.

서귀포: Seogwipo again.

창영: Changyeong.  I think this is the given name of Elder Jo (Cho), his first companion.

없는  번호: "eobsneun beonho." Google Translate renders this as "wrong number," but according to Andrew's description it must be more like "disconnected number."  Entering just 없는 into Google Translate results in "no; absent; unavailable; empty."  번호 is almost certainly 番号 = ばんごう = bangou ("number" in Japanese).

Keiko-obaachan: A friend of ours from Tokyo who visited Seoul a couple of weeks ago and sent Andrew a package from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment